Gooloogong is a small town in Central Western New South Wales with a population of approximately 300. It is located 340km west of Sydney via Bathurst, Blayney and Canowindra. It lies on the Lachlan Valley Way between Cowra and Forbes and is within the Cowra Shire, though it borders on both Forbes and Cabonne.
Gooloogong is a Wiradjuri word of unknown meaning; the town found it's name from the cattle property 'Gool-a-gong' established in the district in the 1820's by the personal physician of Governor Macquarie, Dr William Redfern.
The town is steeped in history, most notably Croote Cottage, a pise (rammed earth) walled building built in 1827 by a gang of convicts. The cottage is one of the earliest buildings west of the Blue Mountains that is still standing. It has been restored to its original condition complete with authentic period furniture.
The first school opened in 1869 and is still open to this day, and in 1880 St Malachy's Catholic Church was completed and holding mass for the local Catholic community. The original church now lies in ruin after the construction of a larger church in 1953.
In 1904 the distinctive Holman Bridge, a DeBurgh timber truss bridge, was completed across the Lachlan River. In 1998 it was one of only 10 surviving DeBurgh trusses in NSW of the 20 built. The bridge was in use until 2015 and was demolished in 2016 after being deemed dangerous and unusable.
In 1922 the North Goolagong siding was opened with the railway running from Cowra to Eugowra. In 1924 a 20 tonne weighbridge and 15 tonne crane were installed at the railway siding. The railway closed down and was dismantled in 1979.
In 1924 the town changed its name from Goolagong to Gooloogong. The previous spelling can still be found on buildings in the area, including the Gooloogong Hotel.
In 1927 Hugh Heavener built the towns distinctive Log Cabin Hall. It was built in preparation for an influx of workers when a planned Lachlan River Project eventuated, however the project was relocated to Jemalong after the war. After the death of Hugh Heavener, the hall was donated to the community and is now used for many events, such as the Log Cabin Markets and annual Esky Ball.